How to Stay Cool Without Air Conditioning
It may be hard to imagine, but human beings have lived without air conditioning for the vast majority of our history.Â As a society, most of us are pretty spoiled by constantly being engulfed in our air conditioned sanctuaries.Â If you want to try and cut down on your air conditioning reliance, but at the same time still remain cool, try following these tips.
- Plant Trees Around Your Home â Trees are the ultimate way to help maintain the climate inside your house year round. In the winter they lose leaves and allow sunlight in, and in the summer they grow the leaves back and help block out the sun.
- Use Ceiling Fans â Even though they still rely on electricity, ceiling fans only use a fraction of the electricity that air conditioning units use.Â A ceiling fan in your living room and your bed room will keep you feeling pretty cool.
- Cook Less Hot Food Inside â Ever heard of a summer kitchen?Â Essentially, itâs what our ancestors built so they didnât have to use their main kitchen stove during the summer.Â Using a stove creates a lot of ambient heat!Â Try using outdoor kicking methods (like grills) to keep the heat out of your house.
- Paint Your Roof â This advice actually provides a really great bang for the buck.Â By simply painting your homeâs roof white, you will keep your house a lot cooler.Â How?Â The color white reflects a lot more UV rays than it absorbs (think about how much cooler you feel in a white t-shirt versus a black one).
- Keep shades drawn during the day – Keeping south and west facing shades open during the hottest parts of the day to keep the inside of your house from heating up. You can even by thermal curtains that reflect light back outside.
Remember, air conditioning is not a necessity, it is a luxury.Â If our ancestors lived without it for countless generations, so can you.