5 Tips for Brain Health
Lots of people don’t think about it, but certain care and attention needs to be paid to perhaps the most important part of your body: your brain! Even though you can’t touch it or see it, there are certain things you can do every day to help ensure your brain stays healthy. Brain health becomes more and more important the older and older you get. To help slow down the inevitable cognitive decline that comes with old age, follow these tips to help keep your brain in shape.
- Eat brain healthy foods – One of the best things for your brain are substances known as omega 3 fatty acids. Certain types of seafood (IE – salmon) are absolutely loaded with omega 3 fatty acids. Additionally, try to consume foods that have high levles of antioxidants (IE – certain fruits and vegetables).
- Keep your brain active – No matter what stage of life you are in, it is absolutely essential that you keep your brain active on a regular basis. You don’t have to do algebra or anything crazy like that – try reading a book, doing a crossword puzzle, or writing a letter to a friend. All of these activities will help keep your brain in shape!
- Exercise regularly – Is there any part of your body that doesn’t benefit from regular exercise? Exercising helps to foster healthy circulation, which in turn helps to keep your brain healthy.
- Have a social life – Don’t ever let yourself become the type of person that stays home by yourself every single night! Find friends and plan regular outings and activities. Staying social will help stimulate parts of your brain that may otherwise go unused.
- Ditch the bad habits – Excessive drinking or cigarette smoking can have serious negative side effects for the healthy life of your brain.